Established in 1893, Muswell Hill Golf Club has long strived to improve both the environs and the golf course for its members and visitors alike.
We are committed to continuous investment in the course, driven by an ambition to provide the best possible golf experience in North London all year round. In 2011, Muswell Hill Golf Club engaged the services of Creative Golf Design (Ken Moody and Ken Brown) to carry out a course appraisal with a view to making recommendations for improving the golf course from both a strategic, aesthetic and health and safety point of view.
Specifically we wanted to review certain aspects of the course:
- To consider speed of play when outlining all proposals
- To explore bunker repositioning in order to provide a more interesting strategic challenge for todays’ golfers and also advise on the condition of the existing bunkers and provide proposals for remodelling
- To consider where the course (holes) might be extended
- To advise on how the boundary of the course, (particularly on holes 3, 4, and 5) might be made safer
From this initial review and collaboration a multi-year plan was borne and works commenced in 2014. Since then we have continued to identify areas we can improve and specifically:
- A woodland management programme to ensure sustainable and continuous cover is maintained
- A course drainage plan to further enhance the year round playability of all surfaces with particular attention to greens and their surrounds
- A programme of replacement for Winter mats on each hole and improved pathways
- A programme for the continued upgrading of the machinery fleet
- A continued investment in staff training and development.
- New drainage to greens 3, 6, 9 and 16
- Re-shaping of holes 3, 4 and 5 to reduce the number of incidents of balls going out of bounds and, as such, the risk of injury to local residents
- New bunkers on holes 5 and 14.
- Drainage and rebuilding of the Greens on 4 (partial), 11, 12, 13, 14 and 18
- Planting of new, young trees alongside the 3rd hole fairway for Health & Safety reasons.
- Drainage and rebuilding of the Greens on 5, 7, 10, 15 and 17
- Drainage to the fairways across holes 1, 2, and 3
- New bunkers on holes 7, 10, 15 and 17.
We have recently reshaped / re-positioned seven bunkers on holes 1, 8 and 18 and these will be back in play in late September and we have removed 12 Poplars across 5/9 and 6/7 holes to allow other species to flourish.
We still have areas to improve and this winter a large amount of work will be completed:
- Drainage and rebuilding of the greens on holes 1 and 4 - October ‘17
- Rebuild tees on holes 1, 11 and 6 - November ‘17
- Plant new, young trees on holes 16, 17 and 18 - October / November ‘17
- Replace / improve all winter mats - November ‘17.
- Fairway drainage added to holes 7, 8 and 16. Further course drainage added to the 9th approach
- Continued woodland management works with pine trees planted on the 1st and 11th holes to replace decaying, non-native species.
- Irrigation upgrades to the 4th, 13th and 17th holes with the installation of approach sprinkler heads.
- Bunker refurbishment on holes 6 and 13
- Remodel of brook area on the 6th hole
- Continued approach irrigation upgrades with sprinkler installation on a further six holes
- Investment to improve playing surfaces with extensive overseeding program carried out across greens, tees, approaches and fairways.
This is an ongoing investment to our course and we will continue to invest where we need to:
- Renovations to other tees
- Replacing old bunkers with new ones
- Continued investment in drainage
- Application for the Golf Environment Organisation (GEO) Award certification. This is golf’s international sustainability assurance and a trusted symbol of great golf environments worldwide. We want to be a shining example of this.
As you can see we are committed to continuing investment in the golf club and have full support of the board and the resources to make this happen. We are a club with great ambition and the resources and an ongoing programme to fulfil that ambition, backed by the support of our valued members.